Monday, August 28, 2006

The Gospel According to Mark


The Rev. Mark Studer

















Being ordained myself (I do not use my title as reverend...er...ever), I have a special sensitivity to the poor bastard who has to do a service, do deep work in front of everyone and God and then is basically avoided on the rest of the voyage.

Sure, people come by and remark about the beauty of the service and are thankful for the words. It's sweet and real and meaningful.

But silence follows.

I was hoping that I would get some time with Mark, but I did not realize that I would essentially have this wonderful man and brother pretty much to myself as we cruised around the exquisite bays, inlets and had great food, good drink, fresh air and the joy of seeing our beloved brother get married and having some real investment in his happiness.

I think I could cry right now.

Mark is a gift.


David in the Psalms (133) writes:

How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity! It
is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the
beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down upon the collar of his
robes. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the
LORD bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.
There are many good reasons to shun Christianity, but one very good reason (besides loving God) to be one is the rich fellowship that can happen in these times.

It's like realizing you both know the same best friend...there is laughter and depth and love and it is luxurious like oil dribbling off Aaron's beard...like the fresh dew and cool air in a holy place. There is a sweet scent of what is to come that you cannot know unless the Holy Spirit is not dancing around you as you talk...

...and drink.

Now it comes as no surprise to anyone who knows me that I like to drink...and perhaps not in my best interest. Drink sneaks up on you that way. You think you control it until it decides to flip the tables over and as Tabs and I were joking all weekend long "there's that...there's that..." (Jesus Video)

But that is just one aspect of life and health.

We are all broken in our ways..and that actually came up in a conversation this weekend a couple times. We are all broken.

After the service all the smokers piled up front and started to chimney together. It's against the law in Washington on a boat to smoke.

The young bartender handled herself well and was firm and gracious. She took time to "go get ashtrays" so they could get a couple extra lungfulls for their addiction.

Meanwhile the bar was full and open.

So Mark and I had a drink and settled in for a good long talk.



Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home