Monday, August 28, 2006

Mrs. Erin Reese




















A wedding is a celebration, but it is also a serious commitment meant to be life long. There is a hard edge to such a ceremony and the pastor must be faithful both to celebration and also to vows made before God.

When Mark was in my college group he met the woman who would become his wife. Many years we would meet up again when I was a top level executive of a publishing company and Mark's wife took a job there as a junior editor.

At that time I had a corner office (actually three offices), a new sports car, two houses and a wife.

I would lose all of that within the next two years to three years.

Bad time to be a dot.com executive.

Bad time to be economically vulnerable.

So I went into the Meat Grinder for the second time in my life. Only this time I had not brought it upon myself.

That was nice.

But divorce is a bitter and devastating business.

*******

When I saw Mark six years ago in the Prima offices we spent some time togther. He was preparing to leave for Princeton to pursue a Master in Divinity.

I was proud of him, but wondered quietly how he would do as my best friend Scott had gone there and it had been very difficult on many levels.

But he cheered my heart with a story I shall tell another time about meeting another "patowan" of mine who I had mentored a bit in the late 70s.

It was really because of men like John Paul, Mark, Bruce, Derek, Jeff, Chris, Jeff (no typo), Thom, and a few others that I came to be in Seattle this last Saturday (okay...Tabs helped me get there).

You see, my heart is not so good. I am feeling my mortality and really the fruit of my life is my children (who are damned fine) and these men and women (there are one or two women, but I tend to be used with men) who will love and serve others long after I am gone.

They will write books, teach whole classes of students, mentor others as I mentored them, do art, create and impact the lives of those they live in community with.

So I decided a number of months back to write them. I got emails back from almost all. It was then that I learned of John Paul's wedding and that Mark would be there doing the service.

I am a recluse. I admit that. I am not good with crowds unless I am teaching (and John Paul reminded me of that fact quite pointedly in an email). I'm not adept socially when all talk is about weather we are having or how the Oregon Ducks are doing.

The conversation dies out and I feel like Chewbacca with manicles on with a severe case of hemorrhoids.

[I will make one exception...I met a guy named "Dino" on the boat. He was really funny. I think he works with Erin. I told him I would blog about him and now I have..."Dino...I kept my promise...don't keep your distance..."

He made me feel quite at home and made me laugh a couple times.]

Anyway. They invited me.

I deliberated

I went. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home