Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Jesus Outed in Megachurch, Film at 11, Part 12



Give me five minutes more, only five minutes more
Let me stay, let me stay in your arms

Here am I, begging for only five minutes more
Only five minutes more of your charms

All week long I dreamed about our Saturday date
Don't you know that Sunday morning you can sleep late

~Frank Sinatra
______________________________

I had five minutes more with him, then I was certain security would come by and boot my ass out.

"I feel like I have so much I wanna ask you," I said.

"Well you always can," he said.

"Yeah, but it's not like this, not like today and you know that."

"Yeah. I do. I agree."

"Why is that?" I asked looking at him.

"Remember Pop-Quiz answer number one?"

"Yeah?"

"Extrapolate from there," he said.

"I can't," I said frustrated.

"Uh, you can. And you will, next Thursday at 2 a.m. You will get the whole deal," he said.

"There is no winning with you," I said.

"Actually you can't lose with me." he said. "What else do you want to know?"

"At death do we sleep or are with immediately with you?"

"Light," he said.

"Light?"

"It's way thin, but in your terms, speed of light," he said. "It also answers your next question. But you know more than enough theology don't you? I mean, you don't wanna end up in the belly of a whale do you?"

Of course I was gonna ask about determinism and freewill next. I guess the answer to a lot of questions may be as simple as "light". Maybe the other answer is "love". Certainly I now understood that the universe is deeply relational...and this one is at the core...somehow.

I shifted on my rump. The air was chalky.

"What will you do now?" I asked.

"I'll wait," he said. "thanks for fetching me today though. I enjoyed it."

"What will happen to them if they keep treating you this way?" I asked.

"I see it, and it is not good," he said. "But it could change. Life is seething with changes that we enjoy as much as it seems to make them uncomfortable. I want to encourage you to have compassion."

"For them?" I asked shaking my head.

"Especially for them," he said looking me directly in the eyes.

"But they are Pharisees?" I said.

"Hey some of the Pharisees were very cool," he said. "the ones that weren't were damaged goods. Do you you remember what I said about the Pharisee who was next to the sinner?"

"Yeah...the sinner beat his breast and cried out while the Pharisee says 'Thank you God I am not like this man, a sinner.'"

"Very good," he said. And I felt kinda proud...I mean two out of three, maybe 2 and a half.

"But you thank God you are not like the Pharisee, don't you?" he asked. " That you are not like this man?"

I got up and walked into the half done broom closet and started to cry.

"You have to go now Christopher," came the voice in my head.

"I don't WANT TO GO!!" I sobbed.

"You found what you came for...even at a Megachurch," he said aloud.

I wiped my face off with my arm and coughed roughly.

"So what will you do next Sunday morning?" I asked, "Tag another accompliss?"

"Maybe, or I might sleep in," he said. "Most of the real stuff happens from Monday through Saturday night."

I heard footsteps in the distance. It was time to go.

"What should I tell people about today?" I asked.

"Tell them what you like," he said calmly. "Just make sure they understand the huge gap between a piece of 'what if' fiction and the non-fiction reality that exists all around them right now, today."

I promised I would, and I have.

As I left and walked past the stoic guard I shot one last mindful question back, hoping for one last answer.

"In my lifetime will I ever see you front and center, loved and adored and utterly seen?"

"That depends on you, and the others," he said. "Until then, I am all ears."

Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

At 4:42 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Oh I am no preacher. Just a writer. Happy to be that.

It's vain, but I usually try and tap the other.

 
At 6:10 PM , Blogger James T Wood said...

You writing is not in vain, mostly because it strikes a vein and acts as a vane (hopefully) to those who read.

My question is how would you reconcile the Jesus locked in a closet with the Jesus who called out the religious establishment?

Sorry, I'm not good at complete suspension of disbelief. I do really like your vivid imagination and metaphor making. The point is well wrapped in drama and humor, but still sharp.

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Thanks James. As usual, your question is superb.

On one level there is never any way in any type of fiction to do justice to Jesus. Too big...too multi-faceted. That's why, in my opinion, in theater and movies the best they have ever done is to maybe depict one or two major facets, but at the expense of all others.

Thus, while I have not seen "The Passion of the Christ" I assume they were able to depict the physical sufferings of torture and crucifixion, but maybe not much else (as I say, I do not know).

Willem Dafoe's depiction (LTC) of Jesus seems to center in his humanity and limited knowledge. The actor who did Jesus of Nazareth certainly depicted authority and the directedness so captured in Mark's Gospel...etc...you get my point.

So, as a piece of "what if" fiction, my depiction cannot cover all the bases. As such it should be seen as parabolic (one key point) and limited to that.

Having said that, and admitting to hyperbole for the sake of making a point, I have a few thoughts.

One is that "this" particular religious establishment bears his name and supposedly represents him, rather than opposing him. It is suggested that they have some residual reverence (I mean they do not put him to death again) yet find him somewhat unmanageable.

Throughout every age the Church has struggled with fidelity to the Crucified God. On a personal level, we each struggle with it ourselves (at least I do).

We also have history to contend with. Historically, reformation and renewal always comes. It is coming now in many ways. But it is also slow. I was writing articles 15 years ago on postmodernism and how to engage...no one was interested.

They are interested now.

I did work in the Pharisee thing for good reason. People forget that some of Jesus supporters were Pharisees. Okay, not many, but they were torn both ways.

In the same way, Fundies do a great deal of damage that we all have to live with, but somewhere alive within it may just be misguided love for God on some level.

Thus the challenge to Mac to not think he is so different than those he currently finds loathsome. They really believe they are servving God and are relevant.

It's an open question as to what is true.

Lastly, it is one thing to oppose ideas, another to single out people. I am not above the latter, but usually only if they have made themselves into a "branded" idea or icon (like Dobson, or Osteen or Dollar).

Any of that make sense James? Open discussion as always!

Thanks again for the question. It really adds to the sum.

 
At 7:31 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Oh..lastly...DUH..

The fact remains that in the mainline Church, Jesus pretty much is silenced.

It just is what it is...and obviously his patience in long and his heart wide.

Here is an article I pointed Martha to that I wrote...wel along time ago. I call it this pieces' "older brother.

http://azotuscafe.com/Doghouse/New/bomb.html
I haven't read it in years, but I doubt much has changed.

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Okay..I am offically on vacation now..I'll be back Tuesday. Peace

 
At 12:18 PM , Blogger James T Wood said...

Have a good vacation . . . I'm going to have a little holiday myself.

 
At 3:19 PM , Blogger tabitha jane said...

william dafoe is scary. :)


i loved your story, esp the parts where you actually reached out and touched jesus . . . *sigh* i wish he felt that tangible to me.

 
At 2:57 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Tabs- This IS what we wish and desire...and more tangible Jesus...the incarnate One who gestated in a womb for nine months and then "spilled into our riot" (from a poem I will poublish soon).

I have to tell you that I did have real fun writing this peace though it was painful at parts. The best was how physical Jesus was in it and engaging.

I think we have this longing that Paul speaks of.. a groaning. But then we sometimes find the reflection of that in significant others.

In some ways, my friend, you are that incarnate One to your husband and he to you. However imperfect, it is there. The reflection is a gift, and should always outweigh those areas that are ruined in us for the time being (because ultimately they will be changes as well).

 
At 6:01 AM , Blogger Steve F. said...

Hey, brother - this is a classic, wonderful piece of imagery. Painfully accurate, in many details, but wonderful.

And don't let anyone tell you that you aren't a preacher. Wherever the Gospel of Christ is spoken, brother. And we are all "the church" in ways that the modern-day Pharisees never imagined. And I heard the Word today, and wasn't depressed (to steal a line from Robert Louis Stevenson). Thank you...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home