Thursday, January 11, 2007

Doc...part two

I wish I had a good picture of him...but I do not.

Later today I will try and find a yearbook that has his picture. If I do, it will also contain the pictures of other known renegades like Rich, Devan Devan (always two), Mark, and Delinda.

But this is about Doc.

He knew Kierkegaard from his studies, so he knew sorrow, comedy and faith. If you, yourself, think about your most poignant moments in life...they come down to these three. Kierkegaard just had to live there in the Emergency Room every day of his life...which is why he died early.

Yet he stands tall today. There is no greater mind in Christendom in the last 300 years than Kierkegaard. Behind him is Pascal...the same.

Then we go through a dark blue patch in my view. But I am not a historian. I just read books.

Athanasius kicked some ass in the 200's. That's all I know.

*******

Reading books is one of the noblest things we do..and it relates to a post upcoming (I am unsure about this one...it's risky). It has to do with WORD...and our singular attachment to it and how it enfolds us, enriches us, and echoes in our brainpans for many years.

WORD.

*******

Doc always wanted to teach but he was not pushy. He would stand in front of 90 students in Western Civ and show slides of his travels to Europe to museums and such. He would ask simple questions that were vulnerable...like "Do you like this painting?" And you never felt that anything but an honest answer was being requested. He had that freshness about him...and humility.

He was a humble man but a powerhouse. As Vice President of the college all real daily dealings fell to him. The President was just a marker for fund raising. And I hate to say it..but a buffoon.

Rich use to steal Devan Devan's (always twice) truck daily and would often park it in the President's driveway. DD was often called out of class to remove it.

Alll for now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home