Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Cammie is Afraid




A rolled newspaper.



The following is based on the accounts my children gave me. Before I contacted Child Protective Services (CPS), about the incident below, I wrote L a letter about the safety of our own kids as she, currently, has full custody. I am sure LIBF has his own view, but since he does not believe "words mean anything, only actions" I sought comment by L. Also, she is the only one with any real power or legal standing within the family. Outside is another matter.
__________________________________

I filed a complaint with CPS yesterday in Alameda County after much deliberation and consulting with friends and my pastor. In most cases they urged me to contact my Ex first about the incident as I could not be sure whether she knew about it or not.

Fair enough.

My motive was simply the protection of my kids. I have nothing against LIBF personally. He is just not allowed to be violent towards my kids. The following are excerpts from my letter to L:

The incident that transpired between R and Adam in the restaurant parking lot is very serious, which is why I am writing you. R is not a parent and only you have the right up until a reasonable age to physically punish a child. We both know that should never be done in anger, and Adam is far too old.

It was our daughter who fearfully brought up the subject. I do not feel she fears you, but she definitely fears R, and apparently whenever she wants to talk about things he is always there. She was very upset about it and explained what happened. Adam confirmed. I do not know if you were there in the parking lot of the New Zealander. I find it very difficult to believe that you would allow anyone to scream at Adam, violently grab him, shake him violently and then hit him repeatedly with a rolled up newspaper. I have to assume you were either not there or you did not see it.

Either way it is not only not acceptible, it is possibly criminal.

I obviously know your view of legality (hiding behind it). Mine happens to actually listen and take things into account. But if I do not have some very quick answers from you, and extremely good ones, I am calling Alameda CPS and reporting the incident to them today.

I do not wish to hear excuses from R. As he would say, "words mean nothing, actions everything".

Honestly, I will probably have to call today anyway. But I wanted you to at least have some ability to respond before I do. At the very least, to hear if you knew of this, and if so why you allowed it.

Another issue which came out is Camille, who in her fear of R, feels more comfortible talking with you sometimes as she feels she will be heard and not quickly quashed. It is our job to protect both of them. I am less worried about Adam because he is not going to be bullied.

Speaking of that, this has put me in a dilemma. If I say anything then perhaps Camille will feel reprisals and learn to not speak the truth out of fear. If I hear from her of any negative impact upon her for simply talking about a very upsetting incident to her own father I will add that to the report (which is probably why I have to do it anyway).

R needs to keep has hands OFF our kids, and no verbal assaults either or shaming.


I did get a response about 45 minutes later explaining their travel schedule, where she was taking the kids for Thanksgiving, and that I was not to contact the kids face-to-face in the meantime.

No mention of the violent shaking and hitting. No answer at all to their own father. Thus, CPS. That is what they are there for.

*******

As I have been writing the issue of fear keeps coming up. Violence is bore out of fear. Threats are bore out of fear. Reprisals? Fear.

Of course, given his weird warnings to me about verbal and physical assault it seems clear (from actions) that is R's issue, not mine. And it is now on record as domestic violence until he disputes it, which he won't.

You see, he feels justified and not the least bit repentant. When my daughter told him later "I do not like what you did to Adam," his response (according to her) was something along the order of "Adam is a man, and he has to be toughened up."

How does that sit with you when a "man" screams and is violent with a 14-year old boy?

A man can show restraint and maturity in such a situation. Adam had pushed his sister too hard and she fell down. He does not know his own strength (he is now about 6'1"). From all accounts (and remember L did not respond) LIBF did not first attend to Camille but began his attack on Adam.

That says more about LIBF than Adam. I'm sure Adam felt really bad; LIBF did not.

We all make mistakes, but justifying them later is damaging. I have made mistakes and said things in anger. Later I have to come back and apologize and ask for forgiveness and restore the relationship. That is what a man does, not resort to violence then try and mask it with some justification.

And let's be clear, if Adam had been attacking his sister (which he was not) and kept going, then force would have been necessary. But that doesn't fit the model of "toughening him up" does it?

"Toughening up" a 14 year-old boy by modeling aggression and violence only teaches a boy how to remain a boy, a bully and the misuse of power or force.

*******

Recently, a raging neighbor stole my phone thinking it was his next door neighbors. He has been sexually harassing, physically threatening and verbally abusive to this woman and every other woman in the building. He took the phone thinking it was hers (she had left it on a chair). I knew immediately it was him and I knocked on his door, then rang, then pounded because I knew he was there and he had taken my phone (which, by the way had been on the chair for all of two minutes...creepy).

He ripped open the door expecting someone other than me...a man. He sputtered. "You have my phone. I want it now" I said sternly. He was momentarily dazed and did as I had badically commanded. But by the time he got back to the door he regained steam and started to quake and yell all manner of obscenities at me screaming at me to shut up.

"I will not shut up. I want my phone, give it to me now."

He started screaming "Get out of HERE!!!" at the top of his lungs.

"I will not get out of here. You have stolen my property and if you do not give it to me I will call the police".

Then came the lies. "It was on the ground!" he bellowed.

"IT was not on the ground. You are lying. It was on that chair for two minutes and you came out and took it thinking it was H's".

He puffed up his chest and was seething, but I did not back down an inch.

Finally he threw the phone past me.

"If you broke my phone you will replace it." I said.

*******

I hear him downstairs banging on things, slamming doors, and last night, when a neighbor politely suggested to his girlfriend that he move his truck so the recycling men could get to the cans today, he got on his crutches (he blew his knee out a few days after a particularly bad incident...Instant Karma?) and hobbled down to the laundry room where he proceeded to take the neighbors laundry and throw it all over the floor. Then he stole the two light bulbs out of the sockets so it was pitch black in there.

He is 50 years old.

What happened to this man?

Someone taught him cowardice, bullying and violence. He is not a man, he is a shell.

I am not suggesting that LIBF is a shell or really anything like this man. L wouldn't stand for it.

The point is about violence and the formation of character. "Toughness" doesn't come from violence. The "toughest" man of the last century was Ghandi, no? He broke an Empire through Non-Violence and active resistance. In that way he is a reflection of Christ, who also makes "new men and women" in His image. In Him we have the freedom to resist, tell the truth and not resort to power or violence.

When my raging neighbor was so threatening there was every possibility he would hit me. Sure, I have the advantage of being intimidatingly large, but sometimes that eggs bullies on. I was prepared to receive a blow. And if I had I would have simply wrapped him up and asked someone to call the police. It would have solved a lot of problems in this building if he was simply in jail.

But he didn't because at the root of his bullying is fear. That is why he harasses single women. He leaves me alone, and of course Reese, but only because I am here.

*******

The story remains: Adam made a mistake and it hurt his sister, but it was not out of rage or to teach Camille "lesson". What the adult in his life did was teach him about violence and non-restraint.

Regardless, Adam will grow up to be a fine man, just like his brothers. They have self-respect, are kind and caring and they can hold their ground.

I am more worried about Camille. She is genuinely scared, and why not? Just see it through her eyes for a moment. I'm just proud she had the stuff to respectfully question LIBF about it later.

She did not buy his answer, and neither do I.

2 Comments:

At 12:13 PM , Blogger Mood Indigo said...

"I obviously know your view of legality (hiding behind it). Mine happens to actually listen and take things into account. But if I do not have some very quick answers from you, and extremely good ones, I am calling Alameda CPS and reporting the incident to them today."

Some feedback: this statement is not communicative. It is coy and sarcastic. I would not expect clear lines of communication if this was the way things were being shared. My guess is L is making a stand against that by not responding to the content of your letter. I know that when I communicate in similar tones I don't have a right to expect a response from someone. When I communicate without sarcasm or bias, the responsibility shifts to them if they don't respond. Not sure I'm communicating this thought clearly - but for the sake of clear lines of communication I would hope that both parties would do as much as they can to let communications about the kids be just that - not a forum for calling each other out. Hope I'm not out of line on that...

Btw - the picture below looks JUST like dad :)

 
At 7:59 AM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

See my new post, because this brings up some good questions.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home