Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Obstinance


Sadie in Larkspur.

















My dog is obstinant. If I ask her to come, she walks away. If I tell her to go outside, she comes and sits next to me. The only thing she hears is "treats". Then she sits. Otherwise? Forget it.

It's selective hearing and a "what's in it for me attitude?"

It would be merely funny if we could also take her off her leash, but we can't. She would dart into traffic and that would be that. Obstinance is a dangerous thing.

Why is she so?

Well we have scant information. We heard that she had been chained up in a backyard for long periods of time. That would explain why she never strays far from "the Beautiful One" and is slightly distrustful of me (a man) even though I have treated her royally.

Whatever doggie-grid she is seeing through from her past is being wore away. When she first came here she was at high alert all the time...near paranoid. Later she started to take naps in the sun on the deck. Now she is like a puddle on the floor most of the day.

I suppose we both take that as a compliment as she feels safe and secure here.

1 Comments:

At 10:18 AM , Blogger Signafur said...

Your pooch has you very well trained. I'm impressed. Kudos to the cute black dog.

She'll be sending you to rehab soon, so she can continue with her brainwashing sessions. "I can't hear you..."

Amazing the parts of life that we choose not to discipline, and then wonder what happened...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home