Thursday, August 31, 2006

Mars Hill Graduate School




















After the wedding shots there was dancing, but as the evening turned dark my fabulous digital camera could not keep up (grrr).

I settled in with Mark for more discussion. He told me about a new book by Eugene Peterson (which I ordered yesterday) called Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places. The idea being that Christ actually does "play" in creation.

We talked about Incarnational Theology...theology that gets dirty and acts and is not just in the head.

This would be echoed when I got back to The Citadel and met with new friend and Pastor Rod Miles for coffee. In his view, knowledge is a trinity of sorts ..yet wholistic...er...anyway, just that head knowledge, heart knowledge and action knowledge are all related in a wholistic way.

Later John Paul came around and said he wanted some time with me. I had not expected him to be able to do that, but I willingly obeyed.

Over drinks he told me about his concerns in going to Mars Hill to finish his graduate degree.

I'll leave most of that conversation between he and I, but I will say that it underlines the consistent concern people have about the "Emergent" Church...that in their desire to be relevant (and often hip) they may leave sound scholarship behind.

I am not worried about John Paul. One thing I have instilled in each of my "patowan" is a high view of scripture and the need to mine it like gold. There are basic hermenutical principles that are crucial in this.

One is, for example, that when you hit a hard passage you not only do not go around it...you go deeper with it. It is exactly at the "crisis point" that the best stuff comes.

Mars Hill is very cool, as is Seattle. They are so named after Paul's trip there where he took their own poetry and cultural longings for God and used them to communicate the good news of God's grace. They had a statue made in that place to honor the "Unknown God" and Paul said "I know Him."

Well I know Him too (same one) and so does John Paul.

Personally, I think those profs at Mars Hill are gonna have their hands full with John Paul...in a good way. His sometimes brooding nature will yield more depth.

What will he do with his degree when done?

I dunno. I know like Mark he can throw a fastball right by your ear, or drop a changeup off the table. My guess is he may becomae a teacher He has a winsome nature, but has also been seasoned by real "times" in life. Those things join compassion to the pursuit of God and Gospel.

Christ does play in 10,000 places. He was playing that night on the boat and as we passed Bill Gates estate I would not have traded our positions for anything. The sun was setting and Mark was laughing and our beloved friend had gotten married.

Sometimes life is really hard and confusing.

Sometimes it's just the opposite. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 8:47 AM , Blogger tabitha jane said...

that's a huge theme at imago also . . . incarnational theology.
it was the basis behind the sacred spaces project.


also, did you see the pictures of the mural i helped with? that was living out incarnational theology.

 
At 1:25 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Intriguing.

How far is Mass from Philly on a drive?

If I do come that way I'd like to meet up with you, with Jon Spritz (he would have to come down from maine) and Rick in Philly.

I'm open, so long as I have bank, which looks pretty good.

 
At 1:32 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Martha,

Also, Incarnational theology is kind of counter intuitive. Jesus rescues us from sin and death in the final analysis...both have heavy association wihthe body...or physicality. It is quite usual to sort of deny that reality after a rescue.

A bit like Jeff Bridges in "Fearless" who eats strawberries her is allergic to and seems, er...frealess.

It's a denial in reality.

Later, believer's see that God got dirty, had to sleep, crap, toil and did so for love's sake.

They also begin to realize they are the appointed hands and feet to the world...hands and feet of love and reconcilation and hope. It's why Christians are so often feeding the poor, housing the homeless....listening...being Jesus.

Cups of cold water...standing in the breach...being vulnerable...loving our neighbors.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home