Friday, September 01, 2006

Double click on photos


Ryan, James, Evan, Chad (one of the two Chads), Chris Abby, Breanna, Dave and Jon.











It is interesting and weird being 49. I forget that I am and my roomate will tell you this is pervasive.

So you look over at this table at the K-School and see this lively crowd of 20-somethings laughing and eating and then at the far end of the table is this big greying Scotsman just enjoying himself.

These are my brothers and sisters, and they treated me like just one of the gang for those few hours. The age difference did not seem to matter, which was good because it didn't matter to me. I laughed my ass off listening to Chris do comedy routines, Chad told great stories; James and I talk philosophy shop. I had already heard Breanna sing (wow!) and Abby is funny and animated. Jon was most definitely my wingman. Ryan was quiet that day (maybe he is most fo the time, I dunno) but I really dug his ear-pierce thingy.

You can see from the picture they are a happy lot.

Of course the key, for me, was Tabs, who had not yet gotten there because Jamie was sick. They showed up later. She preceeded me withthe group so when I sat down with Jon Abby said "oh..so you are the infamous Mac"

I almost looked up (it's an old "The Saint" joke).

I was writing in another context recently about C.S. Lewis' essay on The Inner Ring. Lewis shows both sides of it (if I remember...it's in the same collection as The Weight of Glory, which is quite simply the most amazing sermon EVER).

I was accepted for Tabitha's sake at first, and later on my own because they sensed how much I enjoyed them and how open I am.

Anyway, this is a community and I came from out of town...old enough to be a father, a large presence...also geeky. I am not making a comparison except to be humorous, but Sheldon Vanaukin and his wife were so young when they met C.S. Lewis..and yet they had a close comraderie and friendship. It did not matter that Lewis was old, fat and geeky because there is a youthfulness to the Gospel...and a common ground and a winsomeness.

People argue for and against the existence of God. I understand the reasons why...I really do...but when you sit and bread bread with such as these and see all their gifts and angles and life in Christ you cannot NOT be moved and grateful for God's love and creativity.

Of course some of them will read this. And a couple will go "that dude thinks too much...it was just lunch".

And so it was.

P.S. and I brought Terminator Stout Mustard back and every time I have it on my brats or dogs I'm gonna smile.

Oh also...Chad is one of two Chads that help make up Missio. Check them on myspace. Breanna is lead singer for Ryehollow...do the same.Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 8:57 AM , Blogger tabitha jane said...

weight of glory = basically awesome.
i read it in germany for the first time in 2003 . . . sweet.

terminator stout = yum--good beer
put in in mustard = even better
have it in a milkshake = to die for!

did you try some of the mcmenamin's beer while you were there? they probably told you this, but mcmenamins is a brewery and a winery . . . they rock.

glad you enjoyed the community we've got going on down here!

 
At 12:48 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

In a milkshake?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home