Friday, September 29, 2006

Mrs. Doubtfire


Chris Columbus did a great job with Robin Williams a number of years back on the plight of fathers who are separated unfairly from their children. It's a great comedy, but I often cry when I watch it because it shows what extreme measures fathers have to go through to just see their children unhindered.

In particular there is the scene where Williams complains to Sally Fields, somewhat bitterly, that he had to be "watched" by some supervisor like he was some pervert with his own kids. He never did anything wrong except becoming divorced.

But he loves his kids and is a talented man so he dresses up as an elderly woman so he can be near them unhindered.

Well I don't look good in drag.

Kid's know it is not fair. They have an intuitive sense but one parent usually has the power. In Williams case he had none.

But that was in the film...I believe he did quite well in the real world when instead of becoming the nanny he actually left his wife FOR the nanny...but that's money folks! Ironies abound! And if I had it I would not be in this position. This would be over in a month and for good.

No, the money I could spend on a lawyer actually goes to the woman who is witholding my children from me. Every month.

What I pay is not unfair. In fact it is voluntary and an amount she suggested which I felt was fair. No State of California intervening. She has the majority of expenses and what I pay is fair...unless I have to hire a lawyer so I can see my kids.

And that is the insane part.

When my Ex decided to divorce me she wanted a high-priced lawyer to just kick my ass. I knew that was 30-40k minimum flushed down the drain and held the line for mediation.

I held the line and refused to be baited. I was patient. At every provocation I pointed towards mediation and also a man we both trusted (even though she had been in love with him at one point while we were married. He was not in love with her.). She finally relented to common sense and the dollar.

It was a fair settlement. She did much better than me in the long run, but the original settlement was not unfair. I am happy she made a killing on the other house. But my point is that I have been the steady and fair person in this whole mess and I am now.

I didn't want a divorce. I have dealt with it.

I didn't want to be away from my kids. I have dealt with it.

I didn't want Reese to have to be a "supervisor". I dealt with it.

What I will not deal with is this latest unreasonable attempt to keep my children from me without reason.

Oh sure, she will take my check on Monday, but I have not seen my kids in weeks and it could be a long time.

Why?

Because she can. That is the only reason.

At the end of Mrs. Doubtfire, Williams gets to see his kids because his Ex finally recognizes that her kids cannot live without their father. It is not in their best interest. When confronted she says it was because she was angry at the time. Well any of you who have known My and L's relationship know that she is angry.

Good luck LIBF.

But anger runs it's course. It cannot supercede the love of a father for his children or their love for him. That will not be denied.

Just delayed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home