Monday, September 04, 2006

Last installment of the Pacific Northwest Trip


John Paul and Erin Reese.












John Paul asked if I would come back to the hotel and spend another 30 minutes talking. I called tabs and she graciously agreed even though it was 11 by then.

We conscripted Studer in the parking lot and all headed to the bar.

It was fairly obvious we were all tired, When I enetered it was then the guy at the bar made his funny comment. I settled in and we spoke and basically just enjoyed each other.

Erin came down and I realized I would not see her again for ...well who knows. She gave me a big hug and whispered in my ear "I promise you I will love him and always be there for him no matter what." Then she looked me in the eyes to make sure I got it.

I got it.

I did not expect or require this in any way.

I believe her and I was blessed to hear it because I really do love this man and now I love Erin too.

She is a stunning woman, but John Paul would want more than just beauty. Depth and heart...honesty, even if painful (so long as it is real). Erin has all these things.

They will have their fights and I am sure some of them will not be pretty simply because they are both forces to be reckoned with. Given their passion they will need humility and a near gut-wrenching and costly compassion for one another.

Still I very much like their chances.

I imagine I will visit them in the Spring when things have calmed down...though I may see them in Philadelphia in October for Mark's wedding.

If I do go (and remember I started this 30 part series saying I was going to be indulgent) I also hope to meet Martha and her husband for the first time.

I hope Jon Spritz will come down from Maine. He is simply the funniest man alive and a great writer (much better than I, but I am pretty fucking good). He is the only man who has caused me physical pain because of humor. I have literally had to leave the room because he is too funny.

I may try and impose on Rick Luoni to stay with him in Philly so we get some "brother" time (and also to cut down on expenses...I am not a rich man and these wedding trips are costly).

All in all, I am grateful to God for my trip to Portland and Seattle. I am a recluse, so my time with Tabs, Jon, John Paul, Erin, Mark and so many others was, well...kinda life-changing.

I am not a simple man, but my time there was simple. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM , Blogger tabitha jane said...

life can be simple.
i am glad you enjoyed your time with us!

things here are good . . . still just as busy as ever. drove to washington again this weekend!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home