Monday, January 22, 2007

Tells








Communion. Oil on wood.




I have been studying 2 Corinthians Four and it is majestic. It inspired me to crack my old Greek books and do word study. It is marvelous what you can discover while looking like an Uber-Geek and wearing no pants at 6 a.m.

Just in verse one the whole thing utterly sways away from what you would think given Americanized Christendom.

The key word is "mercy" and it's over-arching effect on everything. You receive such a gift and so you give it.

This is contrasted with using the Word oir Gospel for "gain's sake".

I think Bono said it best when he said he first came over from Ireland, turned on a tv in America and watched our evangelists and just said "these people are fucking insane".

That sums up verse 2.

I could quote Dante "Paradiso" (xiiii, 128-130) and be dead on...but Bono nailed it better.

These people just want your money. Screw that.

Moving on...we hit a little talked about area...veiled worlds. And I am not talking the Middle East, though those folks have a way of making it ALL about them...and we are not helping.

I digress.

The real issue here is "sight" (verses 3-6). Personally, I think we just need a massive unveiling.

It's touchy. I admit that...but mostly because these assholes (see above) have "adulterated" the Word. Hey...air it out...let it have it's day...see what happens.

The real issue, in these verses, is "glory".

It is what transforms us and inspires us...and not our glory...no no...we are not talking sports here...I mean God's glory.

More to come...






Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 1:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that has always been my favorite painting.

 
At 10:43 AM , Blogger tabitha jane said...

speaking of pants. i think you left your jeans at our apartment when you were here back in the day . . . we still have them for the next time you come and visit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home