Thursday, August 04, 2005

Jesus Outed in Megachurch, Film at 11, Part 4



There he was in the semi-dark, bound, gagged and slumped in the corner.

He had rich chocolate skin and deep inset eyes. Not handsome, but neither is Jean Reno and he draws you right in too.

His mouth was gagged, and he was roped up pretty good. I professional job worthy of the Jesus Seminar.

"I heard that" I heard in my head. "Very funny...Can you get this stuff off of me?"

"Oh, sorry ," I said aloud. "Here let me help you."

I undid the gag first and wiped his sweating forehead with it. Then I untied him.

"Are you okay to get up?"

"I manage on occasion" he smiled.

It was kind of a moment for me. I have to say that. The smile. The closest smile to that I have ever seen to that was smiles on my children's faces are various utterly innocent moments, yet here in a grown man.

Now he is not very tall, and I am. When J.B. Philips wrote his famous "Your God is Too Small" I think he missed it by a foot or two. He's about the size of LaBeau in Hogan's Heroes, but impressive nonetheless. He could definitely have taken Napoleon except for the non-violence thing.

Anyway, after he got the blood, or whatever runs through a resurrected body going through his veins, he said, "It's time to go."

"Wait," I said. "Don't you mind that they locked you in a closet gagged and tied up?"

"Happens all the time. During the Inquisition...boy...I would have loved a closet with the clean scent of pine".

"But what about all these people?"

"Oh I meet them all the time."

"What here? In tier 3, section 307?"

"Every once and awhile. I met you today didn't I? And you were in seat 34 in 303 next to Bob."

"Is his wife really sick?"

"No, she left him six months ago. He gives away his seat every week to a different person. No one knows. You should call him next week."

"I should?" I asked. "He'll just get me in Amway."

"No, he won't. Take him for a beer and ask him about his life. Tell him your own struggles. He'll cry and tell all. Be me to him. Be his friend."

"Okay. I guess I can do that."

"You did use to be a pastor..."

"ha! yeah...how did I do?"

"You don't wanna know."

"NO really..."

"Look I'm a merciful God...don't push it."
_______________________

The Conversation...





4 Comments:

At 2:17 PM , Blogger James T Wood said...

Great imagination and metaphor.

I've never been to a megachurch, but I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt . . . Warren talks a good talk in his books.

Alas, the war between the cynic and the optimist rages on within me.

 
At 2:44 PM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Understood...bu the story is not over yet....you caught me in mid stride my friend.

 
At 7:03 AM , Blogger James T Wood said...

More to read - much more to read . . .

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

It's a good war to have James. Giving over to cynicism prevents us from seeing unusual grace.

Understand I like the use of hyperbole.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home