Saturday, September 16, 2006

Phones















One of the most important rights that kids and parents have in a divorce situation is phone access. It's just a rule. When my daughter or son want to contact their mother, or vice-versa, they get to do so unhindered. It's in everyone's best interest, but mostly in the child's best interest, and for them to have some sense of security and access.

I have received many phone calls from an upset child over the years...but I just listen and let them get it out. That's what they really need. Not to be rescued or any such situation.

In the recent situation where my daughter was locked out of her house for something like 5-20 minutes she did not have the option of calling. She just reported it later.

Today I found that both my kids had been farmed out to others. I asked for phone numbers and was told I could not have them.

Once again, if this was working on the reverse the police would be knocking on my door within 40 minutes.

I felt bad the one night when I was trying to console my daughter and my Ex kept calling every 2 minutes. I just needed five minutes without blatant intrusion.

"Just give me five minutes to hear my daughter...okay?"

Then I asked Daughter to call her mother.

Simple respect.

I have to wait until late tomorrow to even talk with my kids. What is L afraid of?

Her own demons.

I simply want to hear how they are doing and let them express themselves as they see fit. I want to affirm my love and commitment to them in a situation they did not ask for.

L fears this. Why? She has the power and if she has done nothing wrong then what harm can come for their father being available on the phone?

What would you do?

I appreciate those you you who have been reading and your views. Please continue to send your thoughts to me at Mac@azotuscafe.com. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home